Sunday, May 24, 2015

Vivienne's Last Request (Caitlin's Perspective)

Trigger Warning: Death of a loved one, possible suicide
I sat at a desk of end stone folding paper cranes, sometimes flinching while anticipating a horrible attack from the horrible dragon looming above me. The cranes reminded me of freedom. No one knew how much I wanted to take to the skies and soar, yet I was so afraid to fall I couldn't bring myself to try.

A crane folded with lapis lazuli paper stood out among the rest. It was the largest, poorly folded, and seemed to lead the flock of other cranes trailing behind it. I awkwardly limped over to my study with more origami paper when the dragon knocked me to the ground telling me that I was worthless. This occurred multiple times a day, but I glanced back to the crane and attempted to join my sisters.

Alisha, Samantha, Lorelai, Marciana, and Rosalie sat at in a circle, apparently trying to close me out. They sat with plates of beautiful, lavish food and ate while praising the dragon like an idol. We used to be the Seven Sisters, but Vivienne died and I was rejected for numerous reasons. I am different from them, yet I can't understand why. I stared at a mirror analyzing my reflection. Why did there have to be such a rift between my thoughts and words? Why were they oblivious to the gaping chasm? With pale skin, dark brown eyes, and a small, waifish figure, I looked like I could play the part my sisters could. However, I couldn't carry a conversation well or bring myself to serve the dragon. I knew, somehow, that it was wrong, but I never could voice this instinct concisely.

Since Vivienne's last request was to spare my life, I now served as their scullery maid. Trapped in a gilded cage, I waited for their orders like a good, obedient servant. Surely enough, they left their mess for me to clean. It wasn't all bad, though. I managed to glean from what they left: some scraps of meat, an untouched dinner roll, and an orange slice. I could not eat too much, though, or they could accuse me of gluttony, which is punishable by death. As cursed as I was, I wanted to honor Vivienne's request and live on.

Vivienne was the kindest to me of all of my sisters. She didn't care if I was weird unless it bothered me, helped me understand concepts such as empathy and finesse, invited me to eat even when I didn't want to, and made my life worth living. On Saturdays, we ate popcorn and drank hot chocolate while laughing at each other's jokes. She cleaned me up when I had accidents and helped me sleep when I was scared. I vividly remembered her last words: "Do what you want, but Caitlin must live...". She ate pizza the night she died, so, logically, Alisha blamed me for lacing one of the slices with poison as I am adept at making potions. While coroners did find a poison in her stomach, it was not one I knew how to make or one I wished to make. Alisha was second oldest after Vivienne, followed by Marcinia, Samantha, Lorelai, Rosalie, and then me. As the youngest, I felt like I had to be the good little sister I always had to be. Since Vivienne secretly despised the dragon, I think she took her life in an attempt to take control of her fate.

As I picked up the detritus they left from their meal, I thought about the fairy tales she read to me. If I were Cinderella, would my Prince ever come?             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feedback or give me death!