Thursday, November 16, 2017

Pumped Up Skates (Landon)

The short skates are today and I've been dumped.

Why did I let him kiss me? He only pitied me and now he dumped me for who knows what. I knew from the start no one could ever really love me. I mean, look at my parents. I had my older sister, Laura, to overshadow me. She was practically perfect, even when she was imperfect. When Lisette was born, I went completely unnoticed. While she was the light of my life, she also managed to pull the light away from me and keep it there.

It wasn't like I was perfect like Laura either. I had my own issues, such as having nocturnal epilepsy. They scolded me for wetting the bed when I had a seizure, but they never did anything like that to Lisette when she wasn't able to get to a toilet. After I tried to drink myself to death at the age of eleven, they dragged me to a psychiatrist loaded me up with drugs that made me feel insane. I only took my meds to please my parents, but this "treatment" replaced my numbness with rage.

At the same time, I was to blame for my actions. I had "friends" that taught me that I should solve my problems with violence rather than constructive means like using the voice I had to sing. The choir director hated my voice because it was better for rock songs. Instead of saying "Screw it" and using my voice, I let my anger fester infect me. Since our group skate is the reprise of Dead Girl Walking, it gave me the opportunity to look back on what I did and realize how lucky I was to have lived and become a better person.

To put it simply, there was a girl who had everything in the world, another who needed the world, and a boy whose soul drowned fighting the resulting tide. I will put my presentation on the ice today and head off to Mineplex High School to tell it in words. Given the climate at Mineplex, I'm surprised that nothing happened there yet. Students are at each other's throats all the time and none of the teachers really seem to care.

I'm skating after Phillip; the sudden mood rotation will allow me to get the audience's attention. I heard name and I skated out to the sound of a song to tell my story.





1 comment:

  1. And Landon - did he know he had a voice? Why did he not choose? Who were those friends?

    Dead Girl Walking is a great reprise.

    "To put it simply, there was a girl who had everything in the world, another who needed the world, and a boy whose soul drowned fighting the resulting tide. I will put my presentation on the ice today and head off to Mineplex High School to tell it in words. Given the climate at Mineplex, I'm surprised that nothing happened there yet. Students are at each other's throats all the time and none of the teachers really seem to care."

    What is happening at Mineplex?

    ReplyDelete

Give me feedback or give me death!