Friday, July 13, 2018

Ninja Girls and Stupid Rules (Jordan)


Alex wanted to perform "A Female Ninja, but I Want to Love" as a duet with Hanako. and one of her practices made its way to YouTube. The modulations and fast pace made the song particularly difficult, especially for a girl Alex's age. She managed to keep up, though. However, I didn't quite expect the responses to the video. One called the performance inappropriate, not because of the lyrics, but because of Alex's take on the song.

The staging highlighted a subplot where the yellow and blue ninja girls slowly fell in love with each other. The suggestion is that the main ninja girl ended up with the boy she saw at the festival, but the PV and lyrics have lent themselves to a variety of interpretations. I don't understand why people hate this one so much. Obviously, most of the people were trolls, but some of them were honestly concerned about things that seemed pretty trivial to me.

Society, family, etc. getting in the way of true love is a plot device as old as storytelling itself. The fact that people are offended by a 12-year-old girl singing about falling in love speaks volumes about the state of the world. I used to think love stories were stupid and endured reading them ad nauseam for Alex, but then I saw her face performing and acting out her love. Love in a romantic context is not important to me, but I'm not offended every time I see such affection referenced in a work of fiction.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feedback or give me death!