Friday, June 2, 2017

Satsuma Oranges (Mark)

          "Lowell and LaCoste, you guys were great on Stammi Vicino. I could really hear the chemistry between you guys. Matsuda, bring your part out a little more on History Maker. Everyone, that was a great rehearsal. Go leave and kiss your boyfriends." I dragged a swab through my flugelhorn as I always do. It's not much, but it's enough so that I don't worry about finding maggots in my instrument. Just as I reached for my trusty bottle of Blue Juice, my phone buzzed. Seeing that the number was not an ad, I answered.
           "This is Mark Navoa. How may I help you?"
           "Mr. Navoa, this is Jia Huang. Were you aware that Respect Ability Minecraft was a fraudulent operation?"
           "No, I was not. I mean, it seemed a bit fishy, but nothing struck me as outright 'wrong' at first glance."
           "Well, you were successful in its exposure as such. After that woman's suicide, donations for Respect Ability Minecraft decreased by 500% and Alisha Netherfield issued a mass ban of the organization in all schools under her control."
           "Wow." I had no words.
           "Wow indeed." When representatives from the organization first came to speak at Mineplex, I remembered distinctly that they focused on the strength and willpower of students with disabilities. They didn't say anything about character like kindness or integrity and seemed to shun any kind of showing vulnerability. Not only that, it seemed that one had to do things their way at all times at all costs. "Would you like to do additional interviews?"
          "Yes."  Jia hung up just as I heard rapid footsteps approaching me.
       
          "Hi!" It was Yuuto.
          "Hey, Satsuma Orange." "Matsuda" sounds like "satsuma", which is a type of Mandarin orange.           "My stand partner is scary. I don't think he likes me."
          "Oh, Landon? He's a bit...standoffish, but he'll be super nice once he warms up to you."
          "By the way, did you hear my part? Do you think Steve-kun liked it? Do you think my band teacher will be proud of me?" Just as he said that last bit, Steve walked over and Yuuto practically exploded. He started stammering in this rapid-fire Japanese/English hodgepodge. I don't think Steve understood a word Yuuto said, but he nodded and smiled all the same. He even took a selfie with Yuuto and, as usual, he tried to minimize his face's presence.
          "Want to meet somewhere for ice cream?" Steve was always intent on being nice to his fans.
          "Who else is going?" As if to answer that question, Landon came up to us rather furtively striding in a typical marching band eight to five. I wonder what had him so worked up.
   
At the ice cream shop, Yuuto took a seat across from Steve and grinned like a cartoon. He stole glances now and then at his idol's face, but he mostly fidgeted nervously. Landon took a seat next to Steve and seemed to fixate on Yuuto. I tell you, that guy does not warm up to people easily. I retrieved menus and passed them out to everyone.

Looking at all the flavors and wondering how they tasted, I decided to go with champurrado soft serve with extra cinnamon. Wanting to break the awkward silence, I asked if there were any other orders. Steve pointed to a smiling orange on the menu and Yuuto exclaimed "Yeah, same!" I guess that's two satsuma orange sorbets. That appears to be this particular establishment's speciality.
           "Anything for you?" Landon had his eyes on the menu, but he didn't appear to really look at it.
           "I'll get mine myself." He stood, approached the counter, and ordered something. I decided to get the champurrado soft serve with extra cinnamon. Since it was pride month, the place was decorated with rainbows. I even got a little rainbow chocolate in my soft serve. I hope Landon warms up to Yuuto soon since they'll be sitting together for at least the duration of the year. Well, what can I say? A bitter melon and a satsuma orange may not go well together at first, but they can with the help of other ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feedback or give me death!