Sunday, April 16, 2017

All in a Day's Work (Alisha)

I hate the gifted/talented programs at some schools, not because I hate gifted/talented students, but because it's an easy outlet for the exploitation of gifted/talented students. Why is it that some schools, usually ones that vehemently protect students with intellectual disabilities, are quick to objectify and demean gifted students? I sent a few of my journalists out to find more answers on the age-old question, but I thought of the answers I had from personal experience as I sat down to try to fix the bad school lunch problem. There is no point in attempting to create healthy meals if they are not palatable or enough calories; a few slimy grapes and a cup of questionable tuna salad is not a suitable meal for a first grader even if said first grader manages to choke it down out of sheer desperation.

When I was a child, I envied Caitlin. She was celebrated for well, everything she did, even just existing. Naturally, I was incredibly jealous of her. I wished that I could sing or play the clarinet when she could do both and do them very well. I had no aptitude for either instrument, so I was stuck playing viola. I wished for her beauty and altruism. I wished that I didn't tower over everyone at 6'4". All because of my selfishness, she's dead. As much as I want to grieve properly, I need to get on with my work.

I've researched something called the "prodigy effect" for a while. Its effects become visible as soon as the "prodigy" is recognized, but the toll is most visible some time during adolescence. It comes in stages. The prodigy effect starts as a kind of pride and it either (1) completely falls apart due to an event or series of events or (2) results in chronic, excessive displays of pride akin to narcissism. The former is more common and, if the second does occur, it usually indicates that the fall is about to come. If the fall never occurs, the affected person develops a god complex.

The rest of my journalists are covering the Mindcrack suicide crisis. Some of the bathrooms looked like war zones--and I've been to schools situated right in the middle of some heated disputes between communities. Suicide is a common cause of death, but it does not usually occur on such a scale in such a short amount of time. Mass suicides like these are usually attributed to cults or fear of disease, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Mindcrack.

I redesigned the menu for the elementary school that served questionable tuna salad and went on to conquer other tasks. It's all in a day's work.













1 comment:

  1. About the prodigy effect:

    I am glad Alisha said *akin* to narcissism. Those prodigal displays of pride, though chronic and excessive, come from somewhere else.

    About the fish:

    Would the children prefer "Fish of the Day"? Five/fifteen fish; appropriate meals. Yes, I know a school cafeteria is not a public house.

    I hope that the grapes didn't look like googly eyes. Some grapes have that texture too.

    ***

    "Why is it that some schools, usually ones that vehemently protect students with intellectual disabilities, are quick to objectify and demean gifted students? I sent a few of my journalists out to find more answers on the age-old question, but I thought of the answers I had from personal experience as I sat down to try to fix the bad school lunch problem."

    ***

    "Some of the bathrooms looked like war zones--and I've been to schools situated right in the middle of some heated disputes between communities. Suicide is a common cause of death, but it does not usually occur on such a scale in such a short amount of time."

    The bathrooms make me think of 13 Reasons Why [the Netflix version].

    "When I was a child, I envied Caitlin. She was celebrated for well, everything she did, even just existing. Naturally, I was incredibly jealous of her. I wished that I could sing or play the clarinet when she could do both and do them very well. I had no aptitude for either instrument, so I was stuck playing viola. I wished for her beauty and altruism. I wished that I didn't tower over everyone at 6'4". All because of my selfishness, she's dead. As much as I want to grieve properly, I need to get on with my work."

    Alisha is showing a lot of altruism and philanthropy here. And many of her students and the administration do recognise it.

    How have the other Netherfields felt about Caitlin and her prodigiousness over the years?

    ***

    "Why is it that some schools, usually ones that vehemently protect students with intellectual disabilities, are quick to objectify and demean gifted students? I sent a few of my journalists out to find more answers on the age-old question, but I thought of the answers I had from personal experience as I sat down to try to fix the bad school lunch problem."

    If I had an answer to this, I would bottle it. It would be quite a cork. The "bad school lunch problem" does give a guide and an outline.

    I do know that it can make gifted students feel bad/like they're blamed for existing. Resentment can be part of it. And separation.

    It made me wonder too how the "prodigy effect" is affecting the surviving students of Mindcrack. Of course the "prodigy effect" is very individual.

    So easy to think that the schools which "vehemently protect" are safe and nourishing for everyone.

    Some programmes are indeed an assembly line.

    ReplyDelete

Give me feedback or give me death!