Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Come In (Steve)

After the last of the hardcore students left, I decided to work up the courage to go to Landon's place and ask him out. I can't exactly pinpoint when our friendship evolved into romantic affection, but it probably started when we tried to get coffee together. He ran off and I don't know why. Maybe he saw some press cameras that I didn't.

When I stepped out the door, a warm breeze blew past my face. I felt like a middle school girl seeing her first crush as I set out on the path. As if I were walking on air, my steps glided effortlessly along the sandstone road. It led through the jungle, which overflowed with ripe cocoa beans. The air was thick and muggy here, but I barely noticed, much less minded

I arrived outside the door and knocked. After waiting, I had no answer. I looked arou nd the house to find that the bathroom light was on in one of the rooms. That's unusual. I didn't hear the shower running or any other normal activity. I held my ear to the wall. What that...vomiting? I knocked on the wall, which is a way of asking if someone is okay if they appear to be in distress. I got no response. I knocked again. I could make out a weak, raspy "Come in" and more vomiting noises.
Climbing through the window, I found Landon hunched over the toilet puking up what seemed to be all the fluids in his body. He looked lighter than printer paper and sweated bullets as he heaved more from his gut. How can one stomach hold all of that? I bent down, scooped him up, and got his head out of the toilet. I took a moment to examine the contents of the toilet bowl. I didn't see anything that

resembled coffee grounds. Closing the lid and flushing the toilet, Landon sat against the wall still dry-heaving. This wasn't good. I hoisted him up onto my shoulder again and laid him down in his bed. My finger shook as I pecked out a sentence.
          "I'll get you a doctor, okay?" I typed out a message to my friend and doctor, Andrew Lai.

Help. Landon's puking his brains out.

Not literally, I hope.

Not funny.

Okay. What's his height and weight?

5'11" and...160 lbs, I guess. It might be less now.

Age?

22 years


How is he?

Tired. He must have been vomiting for a while because, when I came, it was all just thin yellow stuff. After that came dry heaving. 

Did he have a fever? I laid a hand across his forehead. It felt hot. I found a thermometer and took his temperature. It didn't seem bad, but it never hurt to check.

100.2. He looks terrible! How can I help?

Get a cold compress to deal with the fever and see if he has any Pedialyte lying around. He's likely dehydrated to the point where water just makes things worse. I scoured the cabinets for Pedialyte until I found an unopened bottle of cherry Pedialyte. Unflavored would have been ideal, but this would have to do.

After pouring a glass of the stuff, I went back over to the bedroom. I shook Landon awake and offered the Pedialyte. He looked at me to indicate that he needed me to hold the cup. As I put the cup to his lips, he sipped. I put it down on his nightstand and dabbed his forehead with the cold compress.
         "Excuse me." Landon held a hand to his mouth and started retching. He started to get up, but I found a trashcan. He vomited some more, but hardly anything came out. I got a napkin and wiped his mouth. After that, I dabbed at his forehead with the cold compress and watched as he fell asleep nearly instantaneously. I rubbed his belly gently and slowly as the slightest bit pf pleasure crossed his face. I'd scrub the bathroom with bleach later. Right now, Landon needs me.
 













2 comments:

  1. Hopefully Landon doesn't have such severe dehydration that he needs to be hospitalized.

    What is pedialyte? I've never heard of it.

    Thin yellow vomit isn't good, was it a goopy texture like post nasal drip or that yucky green stuff that you cough up from your lungs or airway? Or was it more like regular vomit just a thinner consistency?

    I have more SickFic coming, this time poor Valan can hardly get out of bed between exhustion and retching up the remaining contents of his stomach...POTS syndrome does that to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pedialyte is an electrolyte beverage with the same concentration of salt as the human body. It is the most effective dehydration available over the counter.

      The "thin yellow stuff" is watery in consistency due to the lack of solid matter in the stomach.

      Delete

Give me feedback or give me death!