Thursday, April 6, 2017

One-Eyed Train Wrecks (Landon)

Since my hair was still wet from my morning shower, I felt less than prepared when I heard the doorbell ring. Still holding a half-bitten hard-boiled egg in my hand, I opened the door. My visitor, a blond-haired woman, stared at me. She had a percussion stick bag and some other things with her. It's been a while since I've played drums. Looking her over, I decided to let her in.

The woman introduced herself as "Anna". After pouring a glass of water for her, I found a book or something near her titled "One-Eyed Jacks". Though people tell me it's good, I've never seen the movie. Maybe it was the script. However, I got the impression that One-Eyed Jacks was not a book or a script.
          "Want to play this?" Anna held the sheet music up. She had me look through the parts. This takes six people ordinarily, but any percussionist worth their salt can multitask.
          "All right. What part do you want to play?" Anna looked at me again. "Auxiliaries look fun," I suggested. We didn't have mallet instruments, but I did have some piano skills up my sleeve.
          "Sounds good." Anna and I went to get our instruments. I uncovered a snare drum and my piano. "Let's warm up on our own just to make sure our fingers work." Anna giggled.
          "Don't tell Farkas I was here."
          "Who's that?" I did not hear that name around these parts.
          "He's my husband."
          "Oh, did you have something else in mind?" Anna cocked her head confusedly. She didn't get my joke.
          "What?" It was better that I didn't say it.
          "Never mind."

Both of us played some scales and rudiments. Anna surprised me with her skill, to be honest. After that, we played together for a bit. She handed me the music and I counted off. My eyes darted between the parts and I tried to play them. The melody was simple enough, so I kept up. I tried to roll with one finger. Anna played the temple blocks. Apparently, she was amused by me darting around on the piano. She played snare while I rested my hands. I was afraid that she would fall over as she reached for the cymbal, but she managed.

Meanwhile, my xylophone part fell off the piano. I played what I could with one hand while retrieving it. My left hand protested, screaming in pain. This is what I get for not practicing.The xylophone part rode on a sudden draft and, attempting to reach it, I fell over onto the floor. Anna stopped playing.
         "Are you okay?"
         "Nothing hurt but my ego." I got up and handed Anna her music. "Looks like the one-eyed Jacks became the no-eyed Jacks." She left with the biggest grin on her face. I had the feeling she would tell her friends about our little train wreck.




       


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought I'd put a humorous spin on it.

      Delete
    2. Well it certainly was.

      Also interesting fact relating to Farkas's name:
      His name is of Nordic/Scandanavian origin and he and Vilkas's names actually mean the same thing in different languages- Wolf. Farkas means wolf in Hungarian and Vilkas is wolf in Lithuanian.

      Delete

Give me feedback or give me death!