Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A Little Reinvention (Steve)

Well, no one got killed by a bass drum yet, so that's good.

The Mindcrack band is well on their way to being a great marching band. No one got run over during the formations and, aside from unevenness in some of the steps, everything went very well. Chloe and Diana are doing well as drum majors while Nathan is taking care of organizing stuff. Despite the bad press from the suicide crisis, Nathan Takeda chose to attend Mindcrack. Despite my offering him a spot on the field, Nathan said he was content just printing drill and playing in the pit.

Ayako won the award and she's the clarinet section leader. She hasn't told me of any plans of what she wants to do with her life, but high school is too early for that. I wanted to be a professional athlete, but I got injured and had to go through with my backup plan: music education. I also didn't plan on doing social commentary, but such is the life of a TV star. Well, even if I didn't get injured, I'd still have a problem as a professional athlete.

I have an intersex condition that gave me female parts and, thus, I have periods. I wouldn't be able to play on men's or women's teams without a lot of public outcry and controversy. I got good at hiding it and explaining why I had blood on my pants. (I had to be inventive with that one.) I may tell my students sometime, but not yet. No one else knows besides my doctor and some other people, so I'll tell my closest friends first to see how that goes.

My phone chimed. It was Mark and Landon. They started singing something familiar, something my students like to sing under their breaths. Yes, the insanely cool Mark Navoa is my friend. I honestly don't know why he chose to put up with me from the start, but he did and I'm more than grateful for that. I don't know how he does it, always smiling and joking his way through life. It's like he doesn't feel any pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feedback or give me death!