Monday, August 7, 2017

Changes (Mark)

I don't know how to tell my students about this.

I'm getting multiple procedures done during the school year and, though I've been looking forward to the changes they entail, I've been putting them off because I don't want my personal life to interfere with my professional life. If I keep demanding that my students put in the work by showing up on time, isn't it fair that I do that too? What am I saying by getting a ton of surgeries that aren't technically necessary? I mean, I still experience a lot of dysphoria, but it's not like my life is in imminent danger because of it.

Not only that, I don't want anyone to think that I necessarily promote being trans. I'd give an arm and a leg to be a cis man or even a woman. Now that my gender is interfering with my teaching, it's a reason for schools to not hire transgender teachers. I don't even know if any of my students or the parents have caught on that I'm trans, but I'm sure someone has. Either way this news is received, I'll do my best with regards to approaching in the issue in a way that isn't melodramatic or excessively political.

On the other hand, this is going to force me to be more honest about myself with my students. I keep encouraging them to talk to me when they have issues, but I think part of the reason why they don't talk to me about certain things is that I don't open up much myself. I know I'm supposed to be "professional" about this, but when has that ever been my style? Now, to find a meme that conveys this issue.

On a totally unrelated note, Pyware decided to eat Steve's drill, so I'm helping him rewrite it. He sent me screenshots of some pretty weird stuff, so we're totally reinventing the show. At first, he protested when I added some back marching, but he later agreed to incorporate it since he's having them back march anyway. Despite a few snafus, the Mindcrack marching band is catching on pretty quickly. They'll be better than Mineplex in no time.

I think I'll tell him about this sooner or later, but, first, I'm telling him that his band needs to do some sight singing. It'd really help with their tuning problems.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feedback or give me death!