Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Idk what to title this (Steve)

Let's face it. Meetings suck, especially when they have to do with a student doing poorly. That happened to be the case with Lisette. Her grades were falling fast in some classes and holding up pretty well in others.

Nothing really seemed to add up, so I asked questions about mood, what the classrooms were like, and where she sat. I noted that she did worse in classes where she sat in the back and where there were fewer visual aids and seemed to be a bit depressed, but nothing that would be alarming if not for the academic decline. Seeing that she survived a mass shooting, getting doxxed, and her first year of high school, I think her mental state is no surprise.

I noticed that she haphazardly off all of her hair in a bathroom, started wearing really baggy clothes, and wasn't as active on social media (although that could be attributed to the doxxing). Mark asked me to meet him in person for his help where he would normally text. I had already said that I suspected some form of hearing loss, but my suggestions were brushed off as usual. Her intonation got markedly worse, but she always managed to adjust and recover. I tried talking to her, but she would always storm out of the room crying. Needless to say, I need Mark's help with this one.

We met at Mark's place, which was covered in vines and even had some cocoa and coffee pods growing in the trees. He poured me a cup of coffee to make sure I would stay awake.
         "How have you not noticed?"
         "Not noticed what?" Lisette's brain is a melting pot. Hearing loss, PTSD, and other factors may be at play, but I'm not sure what. I attributed the hair thing to a case of disinhibition.
         "I don't think Lisette is Lisette."
         "What do you mean?"
         "Well...this is going to require me to share something very personal that I should have told you before. My students already know, but I was more nervous about telling you." Mark took a shaky deep breath. "I'm transgender." Well, I wasn't expecting that. I took a long sip of my coffee and made sure I heard that correctly.
          "So...how long have you wanted to be a woman?" I didn't expect Mark to want to become a woman, but I'd do anything to help. I even know a thing or two about makeup.
          "What? No! Been there, done that." Leave it to Mark to make some clever quip...and cause even more confusion.
          "So...you were born a girl, but then became a man." Excuse the political incorrectness, but I just learned some groundbreaking information.
          "Right on. Anyway, I think she might be a he."
          "That's...fairly outlandish." Lisette seemed fairly comfortable as a girl, but appearances are just that: appearances. Maybe Mark was right. I'm just even more lost than I was before.

2 comments:

  1. You're back yay!

    I AM FULLY HERE FOR MORE TRANS CHARACTERS

    *Gives Lisette new hearing equipment and accommodations*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got your wish. http://theminecrafttales.blogspot.com/2018/05/a-midsummer-nights-dream-landon.html

      Delete

Give me feedback or give me death!