Friday, March 10, 2017

Fair and Foul (Mark)

          "What kind of flimsy sophistry does Respect Ability Minecraft believe in? I mean, the #Caitgate tag is trending and its idiot supporters keep trying to justify the organization's driving Caitlin into suicide." Across from me, Landon sipped his espresso. I wondered how he could stomach the stuff without adding any cream. 
          "In this world, fair is foul and foul is fair." I will never understand why some people insist that they're right simply because they claim to support a certain group of people and then end up not doing it. 
          "And it's a fair and foul day today." 
          "How so?"
          "Excuse me." Landon left in a hurry. Judging by the placement of his fork and knife, I knew he would return soon. Though we had little to discuss, I was glad to talk to him. I checked my phone notifications. Steve tweeted a few things. The first one caught my eye, so I read it. 

Turns out I'm bi. Funny thing is, high school me seemed to be as straight as a ruler. #bisexual #lol #lgbt #what #wow (rainbow flag spam)

Ranging from "Oh, cool. Me too," to various biphobic comments about gay erasure to quotes about rape statistics, the responses were a mixed bag. My only concern is that Steve and every person who has ever made eye contact with him will get harrassed by TMZ "reporters". I read the Caitgate tag.

@SteveDoesTrumpet You're a homophobic ableist. That's why you side with Caitlin in #caitgate. 

@respectabilityminecraft Maybe I'd support you if you weren't responsible for her suicide. #caitgate 
@SteveDoesTrumpet She brought it on herself.

@respectabilityminecraft Then why did so many people troll the live Twitter feed during this interview? (link to the video)

@SteveDoesTrumpet Because she was weak. 

@respectabilityminecraft Then why didn't you stick to your motto, "Empowerment for All Disabled", and, I don't know, empower Caitlin?

@SteveDoesTrumpet Because she was human passing.

@respectabilityminecraft #TeamCaitlinFTW

Landon returned, took a seat, and downed the rest of his second espresso. He ordered a third and, this time, he added cream. 
         "I have a crush on Steve." Whoa. I did not see that coming. 
         "Who doesn't?" I'm sure a lot of people were pining after Steve, but most of them just wanted the secondhand glory. Landon's earnestness indicated that he wasn't after glory.
         "What should I do? It seems so inappropriate that I have romantic feelings in these circumstances. I mean, I chickened out the last time I tried to say something."
         "Just ask him again." As you can tell, I'm terrible at relationship advice.
         "And humiliate myself? No thanks."
         "Give it a chance. He might feel the same way about you."

1 comment:

Give me feedback or give me death!