Monday, March 20, 2017

Not Forgotten (Landon)

I opened my door to find these two people just standing, staring at me blankly. It was raining. Obviously, if they didn't intend to do something important, they wouldn't be here.
        "What do you want?" That deters a lot of the people who come to give me death threats. On the other hand, if they're radical true crime fans who want me to have their babies, I'm slamming the door in their faces. They looked at each other and decided to introduce themselves.
        "I'm Juliette Kurfield with Daggerfall News."
        "And?" Is this TMZ in disguise? It better not be. Juliette and her assistant looked too poised to be TMZ people.
        "I'm here to interview you." Sounds good.
        "Okay, but you must adhere to one condition: You cannot release any of this to TMZ, The Enquirer, or any similar "journalism" of that sort."
        "Noted. I was sent to conduct research on school shootings." No. Not this. Anything but this. I started to smell smoke and burning flesh as the memories came back.
        "Are you familiar with the Havencraft High School shooting?" Believe me, I was.
        "Yes, I am."
        "Why do you think Landon LaCoste did what he did?" This was getting worse and worse. Other than declaring my love for Steve wearing nothing but a rainbow loincloth, there were a thousand things I'd rather do than answer that question.

On one hand, I could just answer the question like anyone else and say "I don't know" or I could be honest and give others a perspective that seems to be a missing link. To be honest, I didn't really know why I did it myself. I guess it was a snowballing of a lot of things.
        "Well, lucky for you, I am Landon LaCoste." My name sounded disgusting, but I put on the old Landon charm because I was useless without it. "It was a lot of things, but, mainly, I was sick of being pushed around by my peers and teachers. I thought I could show them that I was not to be messed with. I started stockpiling arrows and studying advanced combat techniques so that I could prove that, for once, I could do something right and maybe...not be forgotten." That made more sense in my head than it did coming out of my mouth. Now, there's nothing I wouldn't give to be forgotten since I was remembered in a way that I hated.
        "How do you think future tragedies could be prevented?" It was her assistant this time, Xavier.
        "It needs to start with one's self. I was warned about dying in a school shooting, but I wasn't warned that I could end up doing the killing. Instead of going on 'vigilante witch hunts' as one of my friends said, we should make sure that no one ends up like me."
         "Thank you for your time." Juliette took off her press badge and slipped it into a pocket. "Now, I have another question to ask of you."
         "And this is off the record, right?"
         "Yes." I can't tell you how many times undercover Enquirer "reporters" had told me that my words would be off the record, but later ran off and blabbed about it to the world.
         "How can I be sure of that?"
         "Just trust us." They seemed pretty reputable.
         "We're offering you a deal. You should get a public speaking gig talking about this stuff."
         "Really?" Who would want to listen to me talk?
         "You have a perspective that no one else has and can clear up a lot of misconceptions on school shootings. Your speeches could save lives." I could right the wrongs of my actions through...public speaking? Was it possible?

According to Juliette: Yes, it was.

4 comments:

  1. I think Landon would be quite a good public speaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is quite suited to it.

      Question: Which OC has a beef with TMZ?

      Delete
    2. Maybe it would be easier to answer: And why do they have that grudge?

      Steve, Mark or whoever watched Caitlin drown/fall off that balcony.

      [apparently confusing what Caitlin had done with a viral video of a Canadian student who might have fallen into a vat].

      Delete
    3. Juliette has beef with TMZ being a reporter and such, and an actual good person. Ali at this point is kind of fed up with everything and mostly everyone (someone get this child help before they start marking off people to send to hell)

      Delete

Give me feedback or give me death!