Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Getting Her Back (Jordan)

It was 9:00 AM. Alex hadn't eaten breakfast yet, which was odd considering that she was usually hungry at all hours of the day. I've been calling everywhere hoping to find another vocal teacher for her, but everyone who's good is booked to the gills and everyone who's available is someone I would not let Alex within ten chunks of.

I tried calling her down. She wouldn't come. That means one of two things: She's trying my patience or she's ill. I guessed that it was the former. I went to her room where she lay with her eyes open and her blanket wrapped tightly around her body. Alex only does that when she's sick, which was a sign that something was really wrong. I tried to touch her, but she retracted. Alex refused contact only one other time in her life and that was when a witch hit her in the chest with a splash potion of pain.
         "Is everything okay?" Alex didn't answer. Something was really up. I offered a roll. She didn't take it. "Tu es malade?"
         "Non."
         "Come down and get something to eat. I made brioche."
         "Je n'ai pas faim." Refusing fresh brioche? For breakfast? Something was very very wrong. I got a plate of rolls, some butter, and some jellies and left it for Alex to nibble on if her appetite returned.

I went back to working on my newest repair project: a regalia. A regalia is a sword that can turn from human to sword on command. This was obviously from another universe because the only best witches can do is make iron golems that turn into iron swords. And that's only the best witches who can do that.
       
Liz, said regalia, was with Dr. Lai at the moment to make sure nothing else was wrong. Having heard much positive feedback about his practice, I took her there. Aside, as far as I know, from a headache, some minor scrapes, and an intense bread craving, there were few complaints in the human department. The sword department, however, was another story. Liz was full of dents, rusted badly in one area, and covered in old blood stains. I don't know much else about her owner, but I know they've had a few nasty run-ins with some savory characters.

Mindcrack is going to get a piece of my mind. I've pulled Alex out for good and will re-enroll her if things improve, but for now, I'm just working on getting her back.


6 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaa you described Liz so well thank you!!!!!! As for the blood stain thing, your spot on, Darkspawn blood doesn't come out easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to come up with some plausible sword problems.

      Delete
    2. Also, Liz, and Ali, and I'm pretty sure Merrill as well, also do rather like bread. Ali really likes Challah bread, toasted. Liz will eat pretty much anything, except pork. Liz doesn't eat pork, or mix meat and dairy.

      It makes sense she'd have a headache and some scrapes, Alarian can be a bit reckless with her. And also tends to dismiss a tiny bit of rust out of forgetfulness and procrastination.

      And I have a question, Dr. Lai is Steves friend Andrew right? I was just looking through some of your older posts and thinking "whatever happened to him?"

      Delete
  2. So there was an intense bread craving when Liz was human.

    I wonder if Liz hurt Alex at all through some sympathetic magic and that's why she doesn't like brioche any more?

    [I thought that when the witch hit her with that splash of pain].

    And isn't it a run with "unsavory" characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz can really use magic, except for some very basic restoration (healing cuts and that sort of thing) and then a simple flame spell. Nothing that's really sympathetic, if anything that's more Cole, he's a compassion spirit, not regalia.

      The difference between the two, Regalia and Spirits like Cole or some would consider Ali, though their a different thing. Is that Regalia serve as weapons for Messangers and other higher ranking spirits and divinities. Where Spirits are independent and have no binding command or commitment to anyone other than those who they report to.

      Delete

Give me feedback or give me death!