Tuesday, March 21, 2017

With the Orchestra (Steve)

         "Um, Mr. Lowell." It was Lisette. I let her ask her question. "Do you want vibrato on my solo?" What kind of question is that? Of course I want vibrato on that violin solo! The problem I have with most violin solos is the lack of vibrato.
         "Yes. As much as you can." How do I turn a shy, but rather talented freshman into an excellent concertmaster? By bolstering her confidence, that's how. "You set the example for the rest of the violins."

This move will get me accused of nepotism, but Lisette was honestly the best out of all the violins. Not only did she play well, she had a good heart. I interviewed ten potential concertmaster candidates and most of them, from what I would tell, just wanted something to slap something on a resumé. Looking back, I remembered how unbearably arrogant I was in the past and I didn't want my students to have to suffer under that kind of leadership.
         
Lisette played again, this time with vibrato. We rejoined the others in time and I led them as a conductor. Alongside me, Lisette would lead with her violin. After running through and refining our solo viola (Kenji)'s entrance, I fixed some bowing problems in the cellos and the basses dragging so much that everyone was a measure behind. Kyle skipped one of his classes to rehearse the timpani and chimes parts with us. As usual, I made sure he didn't drown anyone out.
         "I just want an excuse to get out of pre-calc." Kyle laughed.

Don't we all?

5 comments:

  1. I would rather sit through band practice with mr.scott than do geometry.

    ReplyDelete

Give me feedback or give me death!